- Melody K
KNOTT'S REVIEW of TASTE OF BOYSENBERRY FESTIVAL Select Dates March 5 – May 2
Updated: Mar 11, 2021
This past weekend we attended the Knott's Berry Farm Taste of Boysenberry Festival. We love Knott's, we have attended all their food-tasting Festivals, but the Boysenberry festival by far has always been my favorite one.
One of the reasons, besides the amazing Boyesenberry food, my husband and I snuck away from it all and went on a date one time to the Boysenberry Festival. Sure it may have been a few years ago, but those precious moments of alone time will last in my mind forever. Having two autistic boys at home, it's not often where it's just the two of us. In fact, that was the last time it was just the two of us. It's time for date night again!
All of Knott's Berry Farm food festivals this past year 2020/2021 has been amazing. Another reason I look forward to Knott's Food Festivals I have attended them with all my children this past year. It's like a Holiday gathering for me, but I don't have to cook. This mother's dream of spending time with all my kids is a true blessing.
My older children have moved out, have careers and lives of their own, so seeing them as much as I would like is not always a reality.
Though thanks to Knott's and their Food festivals, we are all together. This mama is in heaven.
Knott's Berry Farm, food, and my family, what more can a mother ask for?
It's was a beautiful day at Knott's, and the weather was perfect. There were so many choices on the tasting card. I always let the older ones guide the way. The first stop on our tasting adventure was the "Pastrami Sandwich on a Pretzel Bun with Provolone Cheese and Boysenberry Mustard" (my older son's favorite) and the "Mac and Cheese Bites over French Fries with a Boysenberry Sriracha Ketchup" was a favorite of the younger boys.
As we ventured on through the park, trying food after food and creating family memories, I didn't want the afternoon to end. We laughed, we talked, we were silly and tried each other's food.
We all had our favorites though we enjoyed all the wonderful tastings.
My daughter-in-law's favorite was the "Boysenberry Pie Slice with Whipped Cream." That pie is always a favorite of mine too. Another favorite of hers was the "Champagne and Boysenberry Soft Serve Ice Cream Float" oh, you had me at champagne.
Now my 14-year-old has a sweet tooth like his mama. He enjoyed and loved the "Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza Slice with Boysenberry Soft Serve chocolate chip cookie." In his words, "It was a bite of refreshing ice cream with a delicious sweetness, with each bite I savored the flavor before I swallowed."
If I had to choose a favorite or my top three, that would be easier to do or, well, maybe my top five, six....
1)Beer Cheese Soup in a Bread Bowl with a Boysenberry Drizzle and Brown Butter Croutons
2)Boysenberry BBQ Carne Asada Pizza Slice with Cilantro and Onions
3)Acai Bowl with Granola, Boysenberries, Cran-raisins, and Nutella
4) Boysenberry Cake with Boysenberry Cream Cheese Icing (they were so kind to foil over it so we could take it home)
5)Boysenberry Lemon loaf and Almond loaf
6) Boysenberry and Basil Lemonade
7) The Fun Bun with a Boysenberry Glaze
We enjoyed all the food, and I would love to go back to taste the ones I didn't get to taste.
Also included is the Easter Egg hunt. When entering through the gate, they will give you your first clue. After my older ones left, we set out for the egg hunt and saw the Easter Bunny.
Over in Camp Snoopy, the Easter beagle was there though he was on a break, and my little one was getting fidgety and it was time to go home.
We also ran into another autistic mama with her son. It's so nice to see friends when out and about and knowing that Knott's is an Autism-Friendly place.
For more information and all the tastings they offer, please check their website https://www.knotts.com/events/taste-of-boysenberry-festival
Things I recommend as an autism mama
1) Get there about 15 minutes before the park opens. As time goes on, more people come, and this way, the little ones will acclimate to the surroundings.
2) Take your time, have patience and take as many breaks as needed.
3) look over the tasting card, and if your littles aren't thrilled with new tasting and flavors, the card does offer cheese pizza, fries, and other items for them to enjoy while in the park
4) Take baggies, even plastic containers, and a grocery bag (or similar to) in your backpack. Sometimes you can't finish all the tasting on the card. Take it home and enjoy it later. Or make someone's day, as I did with my mother, and I took her a piece of the pie (her favorite) since she doesn't go out.
We took the "Boysenberry Shape Cookie Decorating Kit" home too and later that evening we decorated the cookies.
5) Plan your tastings ahead of time to save time and get the items that really are appealing to you. Unless you have older ones like me and they like to just look and pick their tasting the day of.
6) Enjoy the day! https://www.knotts.com/events/taste-of-boysenberry-festival